Wednesday, March 09, 2005

Why your friends always ask you...

My bf asked me just now, half in jest, why my other gay friends kept on asking when I am going to buy a condo. How come they know I want to buy a house ?

I told him I don't know why they asked, because I haven't said anything about buy a flat or a condo.

Hmmm. Come to think of it - most of the gay friends that I know of, who stays on their own, bought condos. In fact, only a handful had bought HDB flats.

Yes, why buy a condo ? It is expensive in terms of floor space, and I most probably do not need all the facilities. I don't mind living in a HDB flat. But the problem is, I haven't decided whether I want to buy a house or not.

Also, why the expectations to buy a condo or a house ? Is it something Singaporean, that having a family, even in our case, means having our own place ? That we have to buy ?

True, gays do not need to worry about wedding photos, wedding dinners, and kids. Does it mean that we need to buy condos to spend the money ? No wonder everyone is after the pink dollar.

*****

I don't seem to have many people coming in. Search engines not doing their jobs ? Guess I just have to live with it for now.

4 Comments:

At Saturday, March 12, 2005 12:15:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi, all the gays i meet are all english-speaking, none of them are ah bengs. how true is that from your experience?

 
At Saturday, March 12, 2005 7:58:00 pm, Blogger Happy in Singapore said...

Haha.. For a while, I was scrolling through all my posts to see which part I had talked about Ah Bengs.

Well, I guess it depends on what your definition of Ah Beng is. Ah Beng, to me, is usually blue-collared youngsters, who are usually not so academically inclined. Usually verbally and behaviorially unrefined, sprouting vulgarities and loud.

Of course, there are well-educated Bengs and Ang Moh pai Bengs who are English speaking.

I have, from my experiences, met several ah-beng types of gay guys. Of course, they feel uncomfortable hanging around the English speaking gay population.

For one, they are usually afraid of revealing their sexual identities to their cliques. English-speaking are usually more open-minded about such things and thus have an easier time coming out of the closet.

Also, they do not have much disposable income to club/pub/party. With their limited money, they prefer to spend it with their cliques playing pool, going to karaoke, and straight pubs, etc.

Thus, it is not easy to spot and to know them. But I have the priviledge to know a few.

 
At Friday, March 25, 2005 5:26:00 pm, Blogger Nicholas said...

Re: that last bit of your post, if you want people to read your blog, you can't leave it to search engines. Other bloggers need to link you. I found your blog because of LancerLord's link.

 
At Wednesday, June 29, 2005 11:01:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just found your page via tomorrow

http://www.livejournal.com/users/loupgarou26

 

Post a Comment

<< Home