Wednesday, June 01, 2005

My Cousin is Turning Gay...

No, not my cousin. My friend's...

I've received a call from a friend a while back. Rare, but she started off with "Is it convenient ? I need to ask you something. Can I call you later tonight ?"

I walked out of the office and told her to just ask. Get it over with. Yeah, I cannot stand suspense.

She asked me if I know whether there are any known gay activities occuring at a certain location. I asked how and why. This is what I 've got :

- That her cousin has been spending lots of time on the Internet chatrooms

- Her cousin's school work suffered. At first, her aunt and uncle though he was have affairs with young girls.

- Her aunt told her that after reading her younger cousin's SMS Messages, her aunt and uncle concluded that her cousin was meeting guys for "fun" at said location, at night.

- Her cousin is using her (being his private tutor) as reason to leave his house.

- Her aunt wants her to talk to him.

- She was wondering whether I could provide confirmation or not.

Well, let's not talk about invasion of privacy and stuff like that.

I basically told her that it doesn't mean he is gay, or turning gay. Maybe he was just "having fun". Maybe he will grow out of it. But I cannot advise her how to , or not to, talk to him. I didn't call her back to check on how things were.

What is the point of all these ?
I don't know, maybe I just wanted to write down moments like these...

Moments like these where I use standard comforting words to people who suspect/realized that their friend/relative is homosexual.

Moments like these where I take no offense to people trying turn their suspected-gay-relative back onto the right track.

Moments like these where I do not suggest they leave the poor soul alone to figure things out himself/herself.

Moments like these where I still think that most people are ok with friends who are gay, ok with "someone out there" who is gay, and ok to accepting gays into society, but not ok when one of their relatives is gay.

1 Comments:

At Monday, July 18, 2005 11:06:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Moments like these where I still think that most people are ok with friends who are gay, ok with "someone out there" who is gay, and ok to accepting gays into society, but not ok when one of their relatives is gay."

well, if i find out that my closed ones might be gay, i would be concern even though i myself is one. i suspect my sister is lesbian... hahaha because she always said she doen't wanna get married and she got on girl-friend (not gf i hope.. lol) which looks like a guy. i'm concern because being gay is like a less than ideal choice (if it is a choice), and it's a tough path. but i'm quite happy being gay myself la. just that it seems like we do not have the privilages of holding our love ones hand while walking at orchard road, kissing on escalator, cannot get married, and everything else that those straight people are taking for granted (lol). we are still living like a ghost. (but we have gay sauna, yeah!!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home