Wednesday, June 29, 2005

What is right about it ?

Seems like I've been tomorrowed by a previous posting "How do you know you are gay ?"

Some comments on tomorrow basically took my "justification", and substituted "gay" with "paedophiles" and seems to imply that my justification of " just because it is natural to me" doesn't mean it is right.

Well, to a certain extent the argument holds certain truth. In that just because it is natural to me, doesn't mean I should feel that it is right to act on it.

Well, thank goodness I don't feel it is "natural" in me to kill someone. (Trust me, at times, I was very very tempted to.)

Of course, if the same method of argument is used to justify murder, it would seem to be wrong.
But what's wrong is the action, NOT the reason.

If I feel the urge to kill anyone who irritates me, it is natural for me. I can't help feeling that way. But I shouldn't act on it because I feel it is not right.

Because being gay in itself doesn't harm anyone. And the universal "moral code" is that it is your right to feel whatever way you want to, but if you want to do things to/with someone, it better not hurt. (But hey, those who have gone through lost love knows it hurts, but why is love not immoral ?)

Which is why I do not like to have sex with guys who are "confused", even if they are 40-years old. They don't even know if they are gay or not, or just can't accept the fact that they have bisexual "tendencies". Because I don't want to be the one to tip them over one side of the fence and maybe they will regret in future.

It is natural in me that I am a homosexual. It is my choice to embrace it because I feel it doesn't harm anyone. And that I will lead a miserable life trying to suppress it and live it to what others expect. I am doing it with a consenting adult who know what he wants and who he is. We didn't harm anyone.

If I were born a paedophile, still the argument is there : It is natural for me to like kids. It is my choice whether I think having sex with kids is right or not. And in this case, I feel most kids are not matured enough to make an informed decision, thus I feel I have no right to even ask if they want to have sex with me. It would affect the development of the kid.

*****

Morals is a funny thing. If I said it was not natural for humans to fly because we are not created by god to fly. Thus inventing and even thinking of building an aeroplane is immoral.

What will you say ? 99% of you out there will say that I am crazy. What is the harm of flying in aeroplanes ? The other 1% agree with me, but due to environmental reasons, not that it is "ungodlyl" for us to fly.

So what is morally right/wrong is very subjective. But of course, there is such a thing called "majority". But still, almost a century ago, majority thinks that our Earth was flat. Majority thinks that women should be seen and not heard.

Also, Muslim men can have up to 4 wives. Their morals and ethics. If you are not born in that environment, you just simply cannot understand nor comprehend it. So, just accept it. As long as it doesn't harm you.

*****

Starting off with the "harm" or "hurt" stand to defining morals is also a dangerous thing.

So you are born in a family where you parents want you to be a doctor, but you want to be an artist. Your parents feel sad, hurt. Are you doing something immoral ? So will you force yourself into a lifestyle/career/whatever for the rest of your life, so that you do not hurt your family ?

You found a better job. Opportunity is very good and it seems like a once-in-a-lifetime chance that you've got it. Your current boss is stressed, sad, and very much affected by your resignation. Company sales figures plummets. Your ex-customers' business is affected when someone fresh takes over. Do you feel obligated to stay and keep your boss and customers happy at your own expense ?

You are born in a caste society. You are of the upper/royal class. Your lover is of the lower class. Both of you love each other. Do you hurt your lover's love, faith and trust in you by rejecting the relationship because it will hurt your family's reputation ? Or do you hurt your family's reputation and elope with your lover to somewhere where both of you can be treated as equals ?

In all the examples above, I am sure many people in this world have gone through them and made decisions that are directly opposites. Some of us rank parents more important than lovers. Those who do not will never undestand. You can think and reason it logically, but you will never feel what they feel.

*****

Many homosexuals are forced into marriage due to peer/family/societal pressures. They led miserable lives, only to get divorced and hurt their children when they can't suppress it any longer.

Was it right to subject their spouse and children through years of agony ? Or would you rather they admit and accept themselves and not get married in the first place ?

*****

How about I do the context-swtiching as well ?

"Homosexuality is a sin. It is morally wrong and should not be tolerated. They should be treated."

Substitute "homosexuality" with "Jews" , "treated" with ... er.... I leave can leave it in there.

Viola , Hitler in the making.

*****

If you have read thus far, and you are one of those who believe that homosexuality is unnatural, a sin, and wants to take a moral stand, I give you this proposal :

Weed out homosexuals. Remove the stigma so that we are free to express themselves. Make us feel welcome and that the society do not penalize us. So that we will not be forced to get married to cover up, and pass our gay genes to the next generation. Let us breed ourselves to extinction.

As long as you make homosexuality something to be frown upon, there will always be some of us who will pretend to be straight and make more gay babies.

So, the morally high-standing ones. What say you to my proposal ? Be hypocritical so that you can rid the world of sinful people, or be truthful to yourself and accept the fact that we will forever be around.

Oh. If you think you can "convert" gay people into straight people, then there will forever be those who will follow your evengilical footsteps and "convert" straight people to gay people.

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 12, 2005 6:21:00 pm, Blogger monk said...

I don't know if you'll still read a comment that's weeks old. . . but I do want to say that I admire you for taking what I believe to be a clear and principaled stand.

Something like what you've done is hard under any circumstances, but especially hard given the climate in Singapore and the fact that your stance has been manipulated to drive controversy, albeit manufactured.

Know you're supported in more ways than you might imagine.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home